Whanganui is located close to the mouth of the Whanganui River on the west coast of New Zealand’s North Island. It is approximately 200 kilometres north of Wellington and 75 kilometres northwest of Palmerston North, at the junction of State Highways 3 and 4. Most of the town lies on the river’s northwestern bank, although some suburbs are located on the opposite side of the river.
ASURE Cooks Gardens Motor Lodge is conveniently located for all Whanganui attractions, but if you want to check out some more information before you come you may find the following links useful.
- Whanganui Info – Tourist information, where to eat & what to do
- The Waimarie – New Zealand’s last paddle steamer
- Whanganui Regional Museum
- Sarjeant Art Gallery
- Cooks Gardens Sports Stadium
- Whanganui Map
- Whanganui River
- Whanganui Musicians Club
- Whanganui District Council